- Creating a concept for the solution
- 3D modelling of the product
- Rendering the final product
- 3D Printing the model
- Helping Arduino programming
- Helping motion and structure calculations
How might we design and make a device that can climb pipes and turn in two different directions?
First of all, we investigated the racing track with all of our team members and identified hidden problems that can affect our design. After that, we made an ideation for possible solutions. We designed and iterated our concept several times to find a perfect design before going into manufacturing to use our budget efficiently. We used rapid prototyping tools to make the product light but durable.
We were the only team who completed the track, and we were awarded with the highest grade for this course. It was such a good experience to combine my mechanical engineering experiences with electronics and programming.
- Fully understanding the challenge and spending team time on uncovering the hidden problems before designing the solution was the main differentiator of our team in the challenge.
- Even though every team member designed a unique solution idea that might probably finish the track, rather than falling in love with our ideas, it was so helpful to share constructive feedback as a team and combine all the good features of individual ideas on final concept.
- Rapid prototyping tools are amazing ways to test what is unpredictable. However, even though they are called rapid prototyping tools, being familiar with a machine and estimating the lead time for prototyping are crucial skills to not blocking project progress.